Tuesday 30 November 2010

Books...

Have you ever been in the terrible spot of wanting to have the entertainment of reading a book without actually having to do the work of finding a book and reading it? I feel like I'm in that spot at the moment, and it is not entirely pleasant. Having a cold does not help my outlook on said literary adventure, but I have had this feeling for a little while now, so I feel that it should be addressed.

Sitting in classes hearing about the importance of literacy and pushing students to achieve academically is inspiring and great and all, but it seems to mess with how books are viewed on when one is not in class. Instead of enjoying 'The Hunger Games,' and lamenting the strict governmental control that forced Katnis to leave her family and participate in the gladiatorial games of the government, I am analyzing its literary characteristics and language availability to see if middle school students could read it. Audio books are even subject to this strict view, because if they are read to fast, students won't be able to keep up, and if they are too slow, everyone will fall asleep (myself included). I've even tried branching out to leave the world of Adolescent Fiction and read 'grown up' books, and have found myself being thoroughly depressed by Kazuo Ishiguro's butler in Remains of the Day, and his driving around the English countryside mourning the effects of war on his beloved country and life.

Floundering in my literary enjoyment, I have gone back to the classics and am rediscovering my love for literature through none other than Dorothy L. Sayers, and her brilliant Lord and Lady Peter Wimsey. Granted, I am somewhat stuck listening to it since I have a 2 hour commute everyday, BUT her delightful prose is once again reminding me that books can be read for fun and I do not have over analyze everything I read. It's a wonderful rediscovery, the only downside being it's hard to relax, drink tea, and listen to a book while hurtling down the high way every morning and afternoon. But I guess that's why I have a travel mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment